The content of the article:
- 1 What is this exFAT extension
- 1.1 Fat32
- 1.2 NTFS
- 1.3 exFAT
- 2 How to format a flash drive in exFAT
- 2.1 Go to Explorer
- 2.2 Formatting with Disk Management
- 2.3 We act through the command line
What is this exFAT extension?
The new exFAT format was developed in 2008, and interact with such flash drives (without installing drivers and Service Pack2) can only modern versions of Windows and Mac. Not able to recognize exFAT format modern TV, photo and camcorders, mobile gadgets, etc. – they all work with familiar FAT32 file system. Although recently a corporation Microsoft with Paragon Software Developers Group has already found a solution, thanks to which the exFAT format is now compatible with Android devices.
So how is exFAT different from its predecessors?
To begin, consider the FAT32 format, in which almost all flash drives. It is very convenient in that it is initially present on memory devices and it is recognized by all readers information – TV, media players, PCs, photo and video cameras and others. The convenience of FAT32 ends when it becomes necessary for us write a file larger than 4 GB to a USB flash drive – do it impossible. And although FAT32 is the most durable of the formats, sooner or late flash drives and other portable storage media with this file system wear out due to constant data overwriting. He also loses its former popularity due to the small capacity.
NTFS format supports recording of unlimited size files, but more suitable for hard drives. His feature consists in using the principle of journaling, i.e. fixing the beginning and end of the operation (records, reading). This is necessary so that in case of malfunctions the system can roll back to the previous state. Very convenient, but for users have to wait too long. When working on PCs or laptops, this not noticeable, but a regular flash drive just can not cope with such actions and processing of a large amount of data. Therefore NTFS inconvenient for use on USB and SD flash drives.
In this regard, a new exFAT format has been developed, thanks to which the number of overwrites of the same cells decreased, which increased durability of the carrier. Therefore, it is important to know what kind of format it is. name exFat. Also file compared to FAT32 and NTFS has the following features:
- Increased maximum recording file size (2⁶⁴ bytes or 16 exabytes – today it’s just huge value).
- Unlimited number of folders and files.
- The increased size of a memory cell (block, cluster) – up to 32 Mb.
- The ability to save access rights to created folders and recorded files.
In addition to the above advantages, the exFAT format is more rationally uses the memory of external drives (increases them effective volume).
How to format a flash drive in exFAT
You can format a USB flash drive using various methods.
Go to Explorer
Open File Explorer and select “This computer ”, and in the window on the right – the name of the flash drive that you need convert to exFAT format.
Format via Explorer
After right-clicking on the name of the flash drive, click “Format”. IN the window that appears, select the exFAT file system, leave it the same cluster size (distribution units) and click “Start”.
Choosing a file system and cluster size
Always remember that after formatting we lose all information from the media.
Formatting with Disk Management
If the computer for some reason does not see the flash drive, then let’s try using “Disk Management”. This tool Detects all storage media connected to the PC.
- Click win + r.
- Enter the command diskmgmt.msc on the line.
Entering diskmgmt.msc at the command line
- Click OK.
- Loading disk configuration information.
- We are looking for your flash drive in the list and starting the formatting process through RMB.
- As in the previous example, leave the size unchanged cluster and select the exFAT file system.
After formatting, you can re-record it on a USB flash drive data.
We act through the command line
If the above cases did not help, then run the command a line from the administrator (before this, right-click on the “Start” button). Then proceed in order:
- Enter the diskpart command and confirm with Enter.
- We type list volume and Enter again.
- A list of all storage devices connected to the PC appears. devices. We are looking for the letter of our flash drive in it (here it is G).
- Close diskpart with exit and Enter.
- Enter the command format G: / FS: exFAT / Q / V: flash, where G is the letter our flash drive, and flash is its arbitrary name.
Formatting via the command line
After pressing Enter, formatting starts.
If in no way did you manage to format the USB flash drive, we use special utilities (required from the manufacturer removable data storage devices). When trying to use a third-party software, we risk completely ruining the flash drive.