The content of the article:
- 1 How do bad sectors appear?
- 2 How to check the hard drive for errors?
- 3 Scan the hard drive
How do bad sectors appear?
The appearance of bad sectors can be a consequence of:
- Hit or fall.
- Unstable voltage in the mains.
- Production defect.
As a result of the above actions of the sector on the hard drive overwritten, and his work becomes unproductive, constantly slows down or even stops. The appearance of blue is also possible. screen. The problem with the hard drive is especially pronounced when reinstalling the system. It seems to have reinstalled everything, but the PC is also “Slows down”, although at the same time the processor and RAM function absolutely normal. Work becomes impossible since the computer “thinks” for a very long time before committing any action.
How to check the hard drive for errors?
What can be done in the above situation? First and foremost – Check the hard drive for errors. You can do this with using Victoria or MHDD utilities recorded on a USB stick or CD / DVD (You should never run a validation program with the drive that needs to be scanned for errors). Consider the example of Victoria. Turn on the computer and select the media from which we want to boot. Click on the desired us version of the utility (for desktop or laptop) and run it. Push on P and select the port to which our hard drive is connected IDE
Choose Ext. PCI ATA / SATA
The error message “No controllers found” appears. Press F2 and wait for the HDD to be ready. After checking her the status changes to “Missing DRSC + DRDY or screw does not remove BUSY—” work is impossible. ”
There was an error
Missing Error DRSC + DRDY due to incorrect selection hard drive operating mode.
- In order to fix it, you must restart the PC and enter the BIOS.
- Then go to Advanced → SATA Configuration and in the SATA Mode line Selection instead of AMCI, select the IDE.
- After that, go to Save @ Exit, confirm the save configuration and exit and do a reboot.
If we have a SATA hard drive, then the algorithm of actions will be somewhat different.
- We go into the BIOS and in the Security tab, disable the Secure option Boot (select Disabled).
- Then, in the Advanced tab, go to System Configuration and change Boot Mode settings – from UEFI Boot mode to CSM Boot (advanced download).
- As a result of these actions, System Configuration appears new line – SATA Controller Mode, in which we change the AHCI mode on Compatibility.
- Press F10, confirm and restart the computer.
- We carry out all the above actions so that the utilities Victoria or MHDD saw our hard drive and did not give an error “Missing DRSC + DRDY or screw does not remove BUSY— operation impossible. ”
Scan hard drive
We select start from the carrier and we load Victoria. Press P and choose PCI ATA / SATA. Searches for external PCI controllers and Now Victoria discovers the hard drive.
Victoria discovered a hard drive
At the end of the search, enter the number under which the channel appears in list and press F2. Next for verification – F4. The menu consists of the following lines:
- Start of check (which sector to start with).
- End of check (which sector to end).
- Type of test – best left linear.
Actions to be performed with broken blocks:
- Click ignore – on the right side of the program window will be information about blocks is simply displayed (which ones are broken, problematic or working).
- Choose BB: Classic Remap – Victoria will fix bugs, if possible.
After pressing the Enter key, hard scanning starts drive and on the screen we will see a moving tape in which (if there is problems in the disk) small colored ones will appear blocks.
Hard disk scan screen
In the upper section of the right part of the program window, there is a count different sectors. If they are in the top three rows, then these are normal blocks, and below them are already problematic (the lower they are placed, the worse their condition). The worst are marked in red color, and defective ones with a blue pointer with a white asterisk.
Thus, the hard drive is checked and fixed. If he has we are in poor condition – a large number of defects or too many red and orange sectors – it’s so hard the disk should be replaced. If you leave it, then in the future identified errors will greatly affect the work and we can lose all data stored on this hard drive.